Thursday, March 26, 2009

Respect.


I attended the Moore College Graduation evening.. this eve... It was an excellent event, a privilege to attend and overall an enjoyable night. The message of the evening was that of the ongoing work of the gospel. Some saints graduating with just a year or two at the college, others with degrees being awarded for their tenacity.

I'm sure after tonight we'll have a number of bloggers running home to type up their pithy comments, possibly ranging from rave reviews (check the faculty pages) to obviously less favorable comments from the community critics.

So what can I add to this buzz or commentary on such a special occasion; well probably nothing new but perhaps a reflection on an old verse:

Although a sinner commits crime a hundred times and prolongs his life, yet I also know that it will go well with God-fearing people, for they are reverent before Him. However, it will not go well with the wicked, and they will not lengthen their days like a shadow, for they are not reverent before God. - Ecclesiastes 8:12-13

In the last two Moore College graduations I have attended, there seems to be responses from the audience that can begin with joy, but seem to end in a form of irreverence. Now the above verse might seem to be a strong rebuke to the faithful who actually turned up, but I put it forth as something serious to consider.

Are we approaching an event like the Moore College Graduation with the reverent respect of God's work as is fitting for such an occasion?

This might sound funny- If anyone spotted me tonight they would have noticed I arrived wearing jeans and a casual shirt (a marked improvement on my previous attire), but as the night began I was struck by the importance of this event. This event was the commissioning and prayer sending event of the year, where the army of the risen Lord's men and women assembled to give grief to the prince of this world. The things that need careful thought are whether or not a person should call out, or whistle, whether or not someone should dress down, whether or not it is right not to attend or to place a low priority on attendance.

Where is the reverent and prayerful respect that such a commissioning should be filled with?
Yours in ranting - V.

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps one can be reverent without necessarily being sombre. I agree with your comment on the tenacity of the graduates, having persevered through the "years of toil" so to speak, so perhaps it's right to express that jovial spirit of release - like a schoolkid on the first day of the Christmas holidays - without reverence being sacrificed at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy is good - there is too little joy hereabouts. Are you gonna join my gospel choir?

    But you are right. Respect, too...

    Like at a wedding. When I do a wedding I tell the couple that it isn't a funeral (so do smile!) but it isn't a comedy show either. We are doing somethineg seriously happy, or, happily serious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't mean to convey a reverence to the exclusion of joy. The marriage illustration fits perfectly with the message I intended to convey.

    In addition I would say that there are expressions of joy and there is just disrespect, which one is appropriate for the context needs to be considered.

    :)

    ReplyDelete